Bring it on


"Think what a great world revolution will take place when there are millions of guys all over the world with rucksacks on their backs tramping around the back country…."- Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums

Stinky Trilliums and Breaking Ben

>> Saturday, May 9, 2009

So far on my treks at Ricketts Glen State Park, I've seen more of this flower than any other. So much that I couldn't help but have to pull out my "Guide to Common Pennsylvania Wildflowers" by Carol A. Sanderson. Not all of the photos are are clear and crisp as this pic of the purple trillium on the left, but it gives excellent basic information on identifying plantlife.

Trillium aparently has another name as well. It is also called Stinking Benjamin (not to be confused with Breaking Benjamin, who also grew up in the Wilkes-Barre area). The alternative name for the plant is appropriate because of its odiforousness. Sanderson writes, "its beauty compensates for the smell." Right she is on both accounts. Like the deep dark purples in the trillium, those guys from Breaking Benjamin are pretty dark and handsome, but I have to say that my taste in music steers away from the stink of hard rock. Needless to say I won't be bringing any trilliums or hard rock dudes home to my mother for Mother's Day.

0 comments:


View My Stats

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP