Bring it on


"Think what a great world revolution will take place when there are millions of guys all over the world with rucksacks on their backs tramping around the back country…."- Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums

My Vice.

>> Friday, May 8, 2009

According to Wikipedia: Hiking is an outdoor activity which consists of walking in natural environments, often on hiking trails.

In the United Kingdom its called hillwalking or walking.


Australians use the term bushwalking for both on- and off-trail hiking.


New Zealanders use tramping.

Multi-day hiking in the mountainous regions of India, Nepal, North America, South America, and in the highlands of East Africa is also called trekking.

In America, I hear that hiking has something to do with stretching the legs from the car to the ground, peering over a lookout, snapping a photo, and then returning to the car to go home and workout on the treadmill.

Okay, I'm just kidding. I won't be discussing my hiking vice like a nature tourist by hanging out in forest parking lots with beautiful vistas snapping photos and using as little leg muscle as possible.


Instead, I want to trek my great homestate of PA. We've got great trails in our state parks. I've been hiking them for most of my adult life but now that I'm hiking them with a full pack, getting dirty and gritty, and seeing PA from ground to mountaintop, I wanna tell you all about it. I'll give you some info on the local nature, hiking and backpacking, and give you the low down on my experiences here on PA trails. Look for my hiking zine (called "Take a Hike," which will be out soon) as a supplement to this blog.

The goal: One dayhike on a PA trail, every week.


Take a hike with me!

See you on the trails,

Erin

(Chickadee- A.T. trailname- PA --> ME '06)

0 comments:


View My Stats

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP